Get cash from your website. Sign up as affiliate
Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Monday 19 May 2008

Memory Tricks

Are you having any problem to remember things in your life or in daily basis? I was reading my RD May 2008 mag when the idea to share this great and benefiting method came to my mind. At first I felt lazy to summarise then to type them onto my blog, but thankfuly because I finished my tasks earlier than I expected ( I was alone in the office today..Last week I was asked if I'd like to take a leave today to celebrate "Wesak Day" but I said, I have several tasks I need to get prepared and investigate before I can actually allocate them to my "anak-anak buah"..so..I'll pass this time..) I took the chance to read and summarise them as short as possible and perhaps they'll be helpful to some people out there..

Dr. Zaldy S. Tan, Director of the Memory Disorders Clinic in Boston was saying "When we're not paying good attention, the memories we form aren't robust, and we have a problem retrieving the information later".

Harry Lorayne, author of Ageless Memory: Simple Secrets for Keeping Your Brain Young says the key is to get your brain in shape. Many people believed that by writting everything down, keep organised lists and leave electronic notes on their phone or PDA could help but when you don't have access to those aids..you'll know what would happened then...shit happens..

If you want to strengthen your brain, try these expert-recommended strategies:

Pay Attention when you're introduced to someone, really listen to the person's name. For better grasp, picture the spelling as in "Cathy" with C or K and use the name a few times during the conversation and when you say goodbye.

Visualise the name with something familiar or meaningful i.e Cathy who is short and laugh a lot. Train your brain to visualise your route to office, what can you see on the left and right hand side during the journey.

Give a play-by-play: Pay attention to what you're doing as you place your keys on the table. Remind youself "I'm putting my keys in my coat pocket" so you have a clear memory of doing it and when you're having problem allocating them, you could try to reverse/forward your memory.

Make it habit by training yourself to put your keys, glasses, mobile phone or any other object you frequently use (or misplace) in a designated area/place i.e in a small bucket every time.

Sing it or adapt it to a well-known song. Try with your grocery list "Peanut butter, milk and eggs" to the tune of "Twinkle, twinkle, Little Star" or "Happy Birthday".

Try mnemonic devices as in the "ROY G BIV" to remember the colours of the rainbow or "Every Good Boy Deserves Favours" to learn musical notes.

Go Roman. With the Roman room technique, you associate your grocery, to-do or party-invite list with the rooms of your house, the layout of your office or route to work. Try imagine spilled hot coffee all over your cosy couch - to remember somebody who is careless.

Use colour. Key-chain is a good example if you want to avoid or stop forgetting your keys. Colourful items can be memorised easily.

No comments: